1.Never walk around alone and don’t talk to strangers. Be on the lookout for strange cars or people.
2. Walk in well-lit busy streets and in a group, if possible.
3. Make sure your home is secure, and become a member of an armed response service.
4. Be sure that you know all the emergency numbers or have them displayed in an accessible area.
5. Always let someone know where you are going and how long you will be gone.
6. Know all emergency numbers.
7. Trust your instinct.
8. Avoid going onto a congested street where you cannot even walk properly, which is where you will find criminals pick pocketing.
9. Avoid displaying valuables where criminals can see them.
10. Twice before advertising your impending absence on social media. Criminals also have access to Facebook and Twitter.