On 29 December 2009, the complainant was robbed of his Velocity Golf in Springs. He was loaded into an Eveco and a member of the public alerted the SAPS. The Kwa Thema SAPS noticed that Eveco and gave chase. The members were assisted by Brakpan SAPS. The car was found at Dalpark, Brakpan and the shooting took place between members of SAPS and the suspects.
One of the suspects was shot in his lower part of the body and was arrested. Brakpan cases for Attempted Murder, possession of stolen property and unlicensed firearm were opened.
The docket was investigated by Sergeant Mogashoa of Springs SAPS after he received it from Constable Mulaiwa. The investigating Officer collected all the evidences and convinced both the complainant and witnesses to attend the trial.
The accused Thozamile Mabaso was found guilty early this month and sentenced as follows:
1. Sentence Count 1 Attempted murder – 5 years imprisonment.
2. Sentence count 2 Attempted murder – 5 years imprisonment.
3. Sentence count 3 Possession of unlicensed firearm – 15 years imprisonment.
4. Sentence count 4 Robbery Aggravating circumstances – 15 years imprisonment.
5. Sentence count 5 Kidnapping – 3 years imprisonment.
Sentence in count 2 shall run concurrent with sentence 1.
Sentence in count 4 and 5 shall run concurrent with a sentence of effective of 20 years imprisonment.